Re: st: issue with getting some diagonal displays on axis

From   [email protected] (Vince Wiggins, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: issue with getting some diagonal displays on axis
Date   Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:33:23 -0600

Tony Lachenbruch <[email protected]> asks,

> In drawing some horizontal box plots, I wanted to set the labels on
> the axis at a 45 degree angle because occasionally the labels
> overlapped - the command I used was
>
> . graph hbox gnp96,yla(,ang(45))
>
> However, this had no effect on the angle of the labels.  Similarly,
> the use of the alternate option didn't work either.

This should work, but does not.  We will fix it in a future update.

I don't have an interim solution that will work exclusively from the command
line.  However, as Martin Weiss <[email protected]> notes, Tony can change
the angle of the tick labels in the Graph Editor.  Simply click on any of the
labels, and then select "45 degrees" from the "Label angle" drop down in the
Contextual Toolbar that is just above the graph in the Graph Editor.

Tony can even click on the Recorder button (the red circular button in the
standard toolbar below the menus in the Graph Editor) before making his edit.
After making the edit, if he clicks on the Recorder button again, he can save
the edit under any name, say "angle".  Then, on subsequent graphs, he can add
the -play(angle)- option to replay his edit on other graphs without having to
use the Graph Editor.  For example,

    . graph hbox gnp96, play(angle)

-- Vince