Re: st: Hiding contents of a do-file

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Hiding contents of a do-file
Date   Mon, 25 Jan 2010 03:54:18 -0800 (PST)

--- On Mon, 25/1/10, Rasika Raghavan wrote:
> Is it possible for a Stata user to run a do-file without it
> being possible for the mentioned user to see the contents
> of the do file?
<snip>
> I searched Statalist for any help in this regard. What I
> was able to find involved using Mata or encrypting the
> do-file. The program is lengthy, so I wanted to know whether
> there is a more conveinient way.

No, Stata seems to be mainly aimed at the academic market,
and within this area we explicitly want a .do file to show
what we do. The strength of the argument we make depends on
how we link what we have seen (the raw data) to our
conclusion. If we hide part of our data manipulation, our
argument would loose all its strength. There are commercial
sitation where you do want to hide what you are doing, and
for those you can use the tricks shown in this post <http://
www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-05/msg00556.html>, which
I assume you have already found.

-- Maarten