Re: st: AW: error code r(610): file not Stata format

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: error code r(610): file not Stata format
Date   Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:10:53 -0600

<>

Kristen:

I don't have Stata 9 to confirm this, but I would guess that -use10- would work for Stata 11
in the same way (?)  Maybe some others here have tried this & can report their results.

My understanding is that the data format changed between versions 9 and 10, but that it did not
change in the transition from version 10 to version 11.  So,  if you are using Stata 10 or 11 and
want to save it in format that Stata 9 can use, then you need to use the command -saveold-, as
Martin mentioned, if you are using Stata 9 and want to read a version 10 (& possibly 11)
dataset then you need -use10-.

Finally, I always keep a copy of the original as well as the cleaned up dataset in comma
or tab separated format (use -insheet- / -outsheet- to manage use / create these files) -- this
comes in handy in these situations & also when you need to  open your data in some other
stats program (excel, R, SAS, etc) & you don't have stat transfer capability readily availiable.

~ Eric

__
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute