st: RE: R: data transformation - need help

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: R: data transformation - need help
Date   Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:19:48 -0800

I would also be very cautious in using powers greater than 1.5 in transformations since outliers can affect the behavior of such transformed variables and also affect which transformation is selected.
This is one concern for the robustness of variance estimates when outliers are present.

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Carlo Lazzaro
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 5:49 AM
To: [email protected]
Cc: 'Andreea Cristiana Didilescu'
Subject: st: R: data transformation - need help

Dear Andreea,
the following articles might be of some interest (please, see www.bmj.com):

J Martin Bland and Douglas G Altman. Statistics Notes: Transforming data.
BMJ 1996;312;770;

J Martin Bland and Douglas G Altman. Statistics notes: Transformations,
means,and confidence intervals. BMJ 1996;312;1079

J Martin Bland and Douglas G Altman. Statistics Notes: The use of
transformation. BMJ 1996;312;1153.

Kind Regards,
Carlo