Re: AW: AW: st: Increasing Stata Memory

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: AW: AW: st: Increasing Stata Memory
Date   Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:18:39 +0000

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]> wrote:
> Nothing like this with
>
> Stata/MP 11.0 for Unix (Linux 64-bit x86-64)
> Born 21 Oct 2009
> Copyright (C) 1985-2009

Hmm, strange a noticeable difference (beyond the static/dynamic
version) is that you've got the MP version.

> on
>
> . !uname -a
>
> Linux wzb-p-09a0283 2.6.31-17-generic #54-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 10 17:01:44
> UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>

> (This is the dynamically linked version. During installation I had
> problems with some libaries, too. I had some newer versions of the
> libraries installed then those Stata requires. I solved that problem by
> creating a soft link to the newer version with the name Stata is
> searching for.)

I tried various similar solutions, as I have a 64-bit install but with
32-bit userland permissible.  The required libraries (libjpeg.so.62)
are installed under the /usr/lib32/ and I thought I could just symlink
the 64-bit libraries to point to this, but no joy and I couldn't find
a 64-bit version of this library available under Gentoo.

I also noted that its relying on an old version of gtksourceview-1.8.5
for the ibgtksourceview-1.0.so.0 library as opposed to the newer
gtksourceview-2.* releases.

Tech Support advised using the static version, so I went with that (so
I could get on with work as opposed to tinkering!)

However, I doubt that issues with the GUI are the root cause of why I
can't allocate more than the reported amount of memory.

Neil
--
"... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/