st: RE: Creating maps with Stata 8?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Creating maps with Stata 8?
Date   Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:56:47 -0000

There is generic advice at

I have a certain version of Stata and have come across a user-written
program that is apparently written for a later version of Stata. What
are my options?
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/lang/version2.html

If you're lucky -mif2dta- will run on Stata 8, but you would need to

1. Clone the program but change -version 9.2- to -version 8-.

2. Take responsibility for that change.

3. Find out.

Stephan Piotrowski

I was trying to create a map with Stata 8 and found the packages mif2dta
and tmap which are supposed to be available already for version 8. But
then I got the error message that mif2dta is a version 9.2 program. So
is there now no way to create a map from mif- or shp-files under Stata
8??