Re: st: Opening Stata datasets from windows explorer in windows vista

From   Maksim L Pinkovskiy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Opening Stata datasets from windows explorer in windows vista
Date   Fri, 08 Jan 2010 21:16:30 -0500

Quoting Maksim L Pinkovskiy <[email protected]>:

Dear Stata users,

    In August 2009, I posted the following question:

> whenever I try to open a Stata dataset by clicking on it in Windows
> Explorer, I
> get output and an error message of the form:
>
> C:\data\mydataset
> unrecognized command:  C
> r(199);

I have since received an answer to this problem from another Stata user. I am
posting the answer here so that other people could benefit from it if
they have
a similar problem as I did:

You to modify the registry key in Windows, for doing that:

1.       Open the Registry editor by running  regedit.exe

2.       Once you opened the editor open go to:

Computer -> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> Applications -> wmpstata.exe -> shell ->
open -> command

3.       On the right panel you should see "Default REG_SZ "C:\Program
Files\Stata..

4.       Mark it, press the right button of your mouse and select "modify"

5.       Change the Value data:  C:\Program Files\Stata9\wstata.exe" use
"%1"

6.       Press OK and it is done.

What is important is to have the use option before "%1", that will allow you
to open the files from explorer.

I hope this will be useful.

Yours Sincerely,
Maxim Pinkovskiy.