Re: st: RE: Std. -ivregress- vs. "by hand" using -reg- with nonlinear endogenous variable

Subject   Re: st: RE: Std. -ivregress- vs. "by hand" using -reg- with nonlinear endogenous variable
Date   Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:04:52 -0500

Misha Spisok--
I would guess that the bias is so small in your case that even OLS
will look consistent (you should always compare to OLS in these types
of examples).  The "forbidden regression" in which you square the
predicted value for y2 likely has an asymptotic bias smaller than OLS
but larger than a consistent IV strategy, though I am just guessing at
that.  Note that a single example that fails to demonstrate the
inconsistency of an estimator that is known not to be consistent in
many specific cases is not a proof that an estimator is consistent;
the problem in the Cameron&Trivedi book asks you to construct a case
that *does* demonstrate inconsistency.  Since Statalist has a
prohibition on homework problems, and my guess is that some people on
the list or browsing the archives will face this exact question on
their homework, I don't think a solution to the problem in the
Cameron&Trivedi book should be posted here...