Re: st: RE: Importing variable (not value) labels

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Importing variable (not value) labels
Date   Wed, 6 Jan 2010 12:52:13 -0600

<>
Hi Dorothy:

Here's one way to do it:

*--------------BEGIN EXAMPLE
global sf "`pwd'"
/*
This is your spreadsheet with the varnames & labels:
*/

clear
 inp str30 varname str50 varlabel
 "var1" "label1 has lots of words in it"
"var2" "label2"
"var3" "label3"
"var4" "label4"
"var5" "label5"
"variable2" "morelabels"
"variable" "labeled"
"var6" "label6"
"var7" "label7"
"var8" "label8"
"var9" "test"
"var99" "lastone"
end

/*
This process will rename your vars/labels
backward, so you need to pay special attention
to your sort order...you may need to simply reverse
the order with -gsort-, or you might need to specify the
exact sort order with -sort-
So, the order of the vars/labels in your spreadsheet should
be in the reverse order of the vars in your target dataset
Also, the number of vars in your target dataset should match
the number of vars/labels in this spreadsheet
Finally, don't use dashes "-"  in your var labels
*/
gsort -varname

//also, we need to get rid of spaced in the varlabel, for now
replace varlabel = subinstr(varlabel," ", "_", .)

levelsof varname, local(varname) clean
di "`varname'"  //<-- notice the order of the varnames
levelsof varlabel, local(varlabel) clean

**
preserve
//we are going to rename the vars in auto.dta
sysuse auto.dta, clear
ds
local varlist `r(varlist)'
//make sure these line up: