st: RE: Two-way anova vs linear regression: how can I understand Partial SS

From   "Hoogendoorn, Adriaan" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Two-way anova vs linear regression: how can I understand Partial SS
Date   Wed, 6 Jan 2010 15:02:17 +0100

Dear Statalist,

Maybe it is a bit strange to reply on one's own posting, but I'd like to share what I found
in closing my gap between two-way anova and regression analysis.

Two texts were very helpfull to me:
Cohen et al. (2002) made clear to me that '[partial sum of squares is] used by current
ANOVA programs applied to unequal n desgins, and it depends critically on using
unweighted effect codes'.
Sribney (2009) showed me how the anova program deals with collinearity.

The Stata code to obtain the Partial SS of foreign in:
*---------------- begin example --------------------------
sysuse auto, clear
anova mpg foreign rep78 foreign#rep78
*------------------ end example -----------------------------

can be obtained by regression analysis: by

*---------------- begin example --------------------------
sysuse auto, clear
// using unweighted effect coding:
recode foreign (0=-1) (1=1) , gen(foreign_uec)
tab rep78, gen(drep)
foreach var of varlist drep1-drep4 {
        generate `var'_uec = `var'
        replace `var'_uec =-1 if rep78==5
        generate i`var' = `var'_uec * foreign_uec
}
regress mpg drep1_uec drep2_uec drep3_uec drep4_uec idrep3 idrep4
regress mpg drep1_uec drep2_uec drep3_uec drep4_uec idrep3 idrep4 foreign_uec
*------------------ end example -----------------------------

The Partial SS equals the difference in residual SS of the two regression models.

Kind regards,
Adriaan Hoogendoorn
GGZ inGeest, Amsterdam

References

Cohen, Cohen, AIken and West (2002)
'Applied multiple regression/correlation analysis in the behavioural sciences' ,
Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers, Mahwah, New Jersey

Sribney (2009) 'How does the anova command handle collinearity?',
 http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/anova.html