msg for Statalist: "Which input for standard error in metaregression"

From   "Maurizio La Rocca" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   msg for Statalist: "Which input for standard error in metaregression"
Date   Mon, 4 Jan 2010 09:41:08 +0100

I want to post this message to statalist:

Good morning,
I'm a researcher in Business Economics and I'm doing a meta-analysis based on an economics issue.
I have a crucial doubt about the weights to use in a meta-regression.
For fixed-effect I have to use this Stata command: vwls Y(effect size) DummyX1 DummyX2. Sd(StandardErrorEffectSize) For fixed-effect I have to use this Stata command, using reml- residual maximum likelihood - as option: metareg Y(effect size) DummyX1 DummyX2, wsse(StandardErrorEffectSize) bsest(reml)
My doubt concerns the weight.
If I compute a variance-weighted least squared regression do I have to input in the stata command the Standard Error of the Effect Size or the inverted squared standard error? End running a metareg (random-effect), is it correct, in this case, the use of the Standard Error of the Effect Size?
Moreover, I have a second doubt.
Please, does anybody of you know how to compute R^2 after a variance-weighted least squared regression? Is it possible to compute it? Thanks a lot in advance for the attention. Sorry if the questions are silly for experts . I'm not an expert.
Maurizio La Rocca