Re: st: increasing time burden during resampling

From   [email protected] (Vince Wiggins, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: increasing time burden during resampling
Date   Wed, 30 Dec 2009 14:46:17 -0600

In a continuing thread, Al Feiveson <[email protected]> has written
that repeated invocations of -test- or -lincom- with factor variables causes
Stata to slow down on commands that subsequently use factor variables.

We asked for Al's data yesterday and have been able to reproduce the problem.

We will fix this soon (within the next few weeks) in an update.

The speed decrease is negligible unless you issue many hundreds or thousands
of -test- or -lincom- statements.  This means that only those doing
simulations or other heavily iterated processes need to be concerned.

As Al noted, the speed decrease grows approximately linearly and without
bound.  You can reclaim the original speed in any Stata session by typing
-matrix drop _all-.  Unless Al is collecting results in a matrix, this is a
safe short-term workaround for the problem.

-- Vince