st: r(603) error when using mi impute command with network version of Stata 11

From   [email protected] (Yulia Marchenko, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: r(603) error when using mi impute command with network version of Stata 11
Date   Tue, 29 Dec 2009 00:23:42 -0600

Graeme Maclennan <[email protected]> asked about error r(603) when using
-mi impute-:

> I started with the simple example using the following code:
>
> webuse mheart5
> mi set mlong
> mi register imputed age bmi
> set seed 29390
> mi impute mvn age bmi = attack smokes hsgrad female, add(10)
>
> After the impute command I get the following error r(603) :
>
> could not find a filename for temporary flongsep file
>    I tried __mitmpfile1.dta through __mitmpfile200.dta.  Perhaps you do not
>    have write permission in this directory.

-mi impute- saves some intermediate files in the current directory.  The most
likely reason for the error Graeme received is that he did not have permission
to write to the current directory.  One way this could occur is if Graeme
started Stata by clicking directly on the Stata executable on the network
drive.  Graeme can check his current directory by typing

 . pwd

Graeme should use the -cd- command to change to a directory where he has write
permission.

--Yulia