RE: st: Different variable names

From   "Kaganova, Yevgeniya" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Different variable names
Date   Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:27:10 -0500

Thank you! I already added labels and notes to the variables, but still was asked about the "two names" possibility.  Now I can answer that there is no such option with certainty.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Martin Weiss
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2009 9:19 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Different variable names

<>

"is it possible in Stata to have two different names for
> the same variable,"

Nope, that is impossible, and with good reason. You can -rename- of course, even though this can be hazardous as well when sharing with other people. Discipline is absolutely vital to avoid confusion. You may want to put the "other" name into a -variable label- or a -note-...

Limited support for different views onto the same dataset is provided in -help label_language-...

HTH
Martin

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:09:54 -0500
> Von: "Kaganova, Yevgeniya" <[email protected]>
> An: [email protected]
> Betreff: st: Different variable names

> Dear listers, is it possible in Stata to have two different names for
> the same variable, so that people who are used to one name system
> could use it, and people who are used to another name system could
> refer to the same variable using a different name ?
>
>  Thank you. Jenya

Preisknaller: GMX DSL Flatrate für nur 16,99 Euro/mtl.!
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02