st: Tmap: "invalid file specification"

From   Dorothy Bridges <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Tmap: "invalid file specification"
Date   Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:18:38 -0500

Dear Statalist,

When I run a program based on the "Working with tmap" instructions
(http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/graphics/tmap.html), I get the
error message "invalid file specification" following the "tmap"
command.  In an attempt to figure out what was going on, I ran the
exact code (using the same files) suggested in the "Working with tmap"
instructions.  My exact code is copied below.  The files are the same
files used in the Stata example (and are available online).  Still, I
get "invalid file specification" after the tmap line.

I'd very much appreciate any suggestions.

Sincerely,
Dorothy

clear
set mem 500m
cd "\\data4\users10\DKronick\My Documents\Dorothy\Giovanni"

*Create files from map shapefile
shp2dta using s_01au07, database(usdbtrial) coordinates(uscoordtrial)
genid(id) replace
*Note: s_01au07 is available at
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/geodata/catalog/national/html/us_state.htm

*Merge id variable with population data file (data of interest)
use stats, clear
merge scode using trans, sort unique
drop _merge

*Merge data of interest with map data
merge id using usdbtrial, sort unique
tab _merge
drop if _merge!=3

*Draw map
tmap choropleth pop1990, id(id) map(uscoordtrial.dta) palette(Blues)