Re: st: ODBC, Stata 11 and Windows 64 bit

From   [email protected] (Kevin H. Crow)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ODBC, Stata 11 and Windows 64 bit
Date   Mon, 21 Dec 2009 15:41:27 -0600

Simon Moore <[email protected]> asked about using the
-odbc load- command to load Access files on a 64-bit Windows
machine:

>I've just upgraded to Stata/MP 11.0 for Windows (64-bit x86-64) on
>Windows 7.

>I was on Windows XP with Stata 10 and used -odbc load- to load MS Access
>tables into Stata through registering the Access mdb file as an ODBC source.

>Now, however, when I use C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe to do the same
>thing I get "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The specified DSN contains
>an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application" from -odbc
>query-

>I've spent a fair bit of time on google and bing and have not found
>anything that appears to help. Can anyone here offer any help?

Microsoft has not developed a 64-bit Access or a 64-bit Excel ODBC driver.
The workaround for Simon is to add his Access (or Excel) datasources to the
32-bit Windows ODBC driver manager (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe) and use
32-bit Stata for Windows to load his data.  Since Simon has already added his
datasources to the 32-bit ODBC driver manager the only step Simon has left is
to download the 32-bit Stata for Windows executable at the below URL to his
Stata install directory and use 32-bit Stata to load his data.

        http://www.stata.com/support/updates/stata11/win/

Simon can -save- the data from 32-bit Stata and -use- it in 64-bit Stata
if he prefers to perform his analyses in 64-bit Stata.

Kevin