st: AW: xtmixed: baffling random component

Subject   st: AW: xtmixed: baffling random component
Date   Thu, 17 Dec 2009 17:29:20 +0100

<>

"The second nugget of hope comes from
the help file within xtmixed. In this file, the first example of a
random coefficients model is one where the coefficient that varies has
no level 1 variation."

Not sure what you mean by that. Your "level 1" is, in terms of -h xtmixed-,
the "fe_equation", i.e. the fixed-effects part of the model. And sure
enough, "grade" does appear there, so it is accounted for on your "level 1".
There is not supposed to be any variation there, though - hence the name
"fixed effects".

The first time variation for a coefficient even enters the picture is on
your "level 2", which the help file calls "re_equation", following the
double pipe symbol.

HTH
Martin