Statalist

st: AW: Creating single values from a nested data file

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: AW: Creating single values from a nested data file
Date   Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:03:21 +0100

<>

Could be a case for -reshape- or -collapse-. For further help, you should
post a meaningful excerpt of your data.

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] Im Auftrag von Marcello Pagano
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 16. Dezember 2009 15:04
An: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Betreff: st: Creating single values from a nested data file

For Russell:

*From:* Russel Wildeman [mailto:rwildeman@idasa.org.za]
*Sent:* 15 December 2009 07:36 PM
*To:* 'statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu'

Dear Listers,

I am new to Stata and have the following question.

I have education survey data where the data are ordered by school and
student and more pertinently the variable ?school.? The data are ordered
by the variable ?school? and would give 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 etc. I have
created appropriate school-level variables but the problem is that the
values of the school-level variables are repeated for the same school,
whereas I want only one record per school for some of the school-level
variables. I tried various merging file schemes but none work. Any help
is highly appreciated

Thanks

Russell