Re: st: Choice of analysis time in survival analysis where the hazard is associated with age

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Choice of analysis time in survival analysis where the hazard is associated with age
Date   Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:55:58 -0500

Roland, you must also consider the influence of period (calendar year)
and cohort (birth year), as well as the influence of  age. As is
well-known, knowledge of any two of these quantities determines the
third. Because older members of your population experienced the
depression and war years between 1929 and 1945, cohort effects appear
to be a real possibility.

The only book in my library about this topic is: William Mason and
Stephen Fienberg, Eds. "Cohort Analysis in Social Research: Beyond the
Identification Problem", Springer-Verlag, 1985.

As a start, use attained age as your time dimension in  -stpm2- and
try the other two quantities as covariates, but  only one at a time.
Fit a flexible function to the covariate with one of Patrick Royston's
commands -mvrs- (multivariate restricted splines) or -mfp- (
multivariate fractional polynomials).

-Steve