Re: st: significance test for change

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: significance test for change
Date   Tue, 8 Dec 2009 19:39:39 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Tue, 8/12/09, P C <> wrote:
> I have a survey data set. In this variable I have a
> race/ethnicity variable, and a dependent variable (obesity
> which is a dichotomous variable: obese=1; not obese=0). I
> have two waves of data for obesity.
> At wave 1, I calculate percentage of obese respondents for
> each race/ethnic group. Then at Wave 2, I do the same thing.
> Now I want to know the change for the percentage of obese
> respondents for each racial group is significant or not. I
> also need to know the confidence interval of change.

These proportions are just means, so you can use -regress- of
obesity on wave with the -svy- prefix and the appropriate
-subpop- option. The "effect" of the wave dummy is the change
in the percentage within a racial group. Alternativly you
could use -logit- with the appropriate -svy- prefix and
-subpop- option in combination with -margins-. This might
reasure people (referees, advisors, etc.) who don't like the
linear probability model, it should give very similar results

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen