Re: st: -merge- in version11 fails to sort automatically

From (William Gould, StataCorp LP)
Subject   Re: st: -merge- in version11 fails to sort automatically
Date   Mon, 07 Dec 2009 10:43:27 -0600

Padmakumar Sivadasan <> is using Stata 11
and reports obtaining the following output,

        . merge 1:1 cik fyear using compustat
        using data not sorted

even though the manual states that you are not required to have the
datasets sorted before using -merge-.

Martin Weiss <> helpfully wrote,

> -merge 1:1- performs its -checksort- as one of its first tasks. So
> -set trace on- and report what happens there...

Padmakumar can do that and then we can see if we can determine the source
of the problem here on the list, but I recommend that Padmakumar go to
Stata technical support with this problem.

I have tried to reproduce this problem, and I cannot.

The first request Technical Services will make is that Padmakumar send
a log and a copy of the data so we can reproduce the problem here.

-- Bill