Re: st: SSC Archive activity, Nov 2009

To   "[email protected]" <[email protected]>, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: SSC Archive activity, Nov 2009
Date   Fri, 04 Dec 2009 13:53:09 -0500

At 01:30 PM 12/4/2009, A Johnson wrote:
Hello Kit, I just had a lively debate with one of my colleagues
regarding the SSC activities. One of us is convinced that some of the
modules have been downloaded with the intent of making them appear
more popular. OUTREG2 and ESTOUT particularly look suspicious. What is
going on here?

I wouldn't expect that at all, at least not for those 2 packages. Both are enormously popular and can be used by almost anybody regardless of substantive field. Further, both get fairly regular updates which means anybody using adoupdate is going to keep downloading them over and over.

Now, if my gologit2 program suddenly started cracking the top 5, then you'd have reason to be suspicious. :)

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  [email protected]
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam