Re: st: Still Thinking or Resisting

From   Clyde Schechter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Still Thinking or Resisting
Date   Fri, 4 Dec 2009 07:31:14 -0800

FWIW, I had a similar problem several months back.  I was generating a
fairly large number of graphs within nested loops and then combining them.
 It all worked fine until I tried to maximize the graph window, which
would cause my computer to crash.

I sent Stata tech support the data and code: they were unable to reproduce
the problem on their machines.  I subsequently re-ran my code on another
machine, and ultimately on a few other machines, with no problem
whatsoever.  The problem persists on the machine which originally produced
the problem.

My best guess is that it is either a hardware problem or some difficulty
with the graphics-handling part of the OS that causes this.

As a work-around when I have to use the problematic machine, I do what
another person suggested on this list: I export the combined graph and
then open it in a picture-viewing application.

I suggest you send your data and code to Stata tech support.  If they do
find a problem in Stata, let the list know--there may be others who have
encountered this.  But, if I were you, I'd also check and see if the
problem is reproducible on another computer.

Good luck.

Clyde Schechter
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA