st: AW: Simple loop problem?

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: Simple loop problem?
Date   Thu, 3 Dec 2009 09:14:40 +0100

Robin may want to dig into Nick`s canonical reference for these problems,

Also note that not every problem in connection with the "other members" of a
family is as easily solved as this one:

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Robin Pleau
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 3. Dezember 2009 03:09
Betreff: st: Simple loop problem?

Hello. I am using Stata 9. I have what seems like a simple coding
problem but can't figure it out (I'm a relatively new Stata user). I
believe the solution lies in the foreach/forvalues commands, but can't
seem to come up with a solution.

I need to recode a person-level variable based on whether other people
in the household have the same characteristic. Specifically, I want to
recode the variable hh_3 with the value of 1 (1=the person lives in a
three-generational household) if anyone in the household already has
hh_3=1. I want to loop through the whole dataset.

hh_id   person_id   hh_3

4003     01             0
4003     02             1
4003     03             0