Re: st: Problem with new version of Stat-transfer

From   Nick Winter <>
Subject   Re: st: Problem with new version of Stat-transfer
Date   Wed, 02 Dec 2009 09:57:22 -0500

Not sure about S/T 10 in particular, but variable nnames starting with a number are not legal in Stata, so it has to do something...

- NW

Ricardo Ovaldia wrote:
Dear _all

I have a Stata program write under Stata's version 9 that uses stat-transfer's "st.exe" to read an ever increasing number of text data files.

I recently upgrated to Stat/tranfer 10, and when I ran my program it broke.
Stat/transfer rename my variables. For example it changed:
1_1_SubjectID  to  a_1_SubjectID
1_2_Reviewer  to  a_2_Reviewer
and so on.

How do I get Stat/transfer to respect my variable names? and why does it change them?

Thank you,
Ricardo Ovaldia, MS
Statistician Oklahoma City, OK

*   For searches and help try:

Nicholas Winter                                 434.924.6994 t
Assistant Professor                             434.924.3359 f
Department of Politics         e
University of Virginia w
PO Box 400787, 100 Cabell Hall
Charlottesville, VA 22904