st: RE: re: overid

Subject   st: RE: re: overid
Date   Tue, 1 Dec 2009 16:16:43 -0000

Hi all.  For anyone who is interested in the detail of the different
overid stats generated by -overid- after 2SLS and -reg3-, here is an
illustration.  (First read Kit's posting below.)

The usual single-equation Sargan statistic is often calculated as an
N*R-sq following an artificial regression.  Sometimes in the literature
you will see a reference to a Sargan stat with a degrees of freedom
correction, i.e., (N-L)*R-sq, where L is the number of regressors.

If you use -overid- after -reg3- where the latter is used to do 2SLS,
you will get the latter form of the Sargan stat.  If you include the
-nodfk- option with -reg3- and then run -overid-, you get the first and
more common version of the Sargan stat.  The Stata output below
illustrates.

--Mark

. use http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec-p/data/hayashi/griliches76.dta, clear
(Wages of Very Young Men, Zvi Griliches, J.Pol.Ec. 1976)

. * Standard Sargan statistic with no dof correction
. qui ivreg2 lw s expr tenure rns smsa  (iq=med kww age mrt)

. di %10.7f e(j)
61.1365980

. qui reg3 (lw =iq s expr tenure rns smsa), endog(iq) exog(med kww age
mrt s expr
> tenure rns smsa) 2sls nodfk

. qui overid

. di %10.7f r(crit)
61.1365980

.
. * Sargan stat with dof correction
. qui ivreg2 lw s expr tenure rns smsa  (iq=med kww age mrt)

. overid, all

Tests of overidentifying restrictions:
Sargan N*R-sq test       61.137  Chi-sq(3)    P-value = 0.0000
Sargan (N-L)*R-sq test   60.572  Chi-sq(3)    P-value = 0.0000
Basmann test             65.623  Chi-sq(3)    P-value = 0.0000
Sargan pseudo-F test     20.191  F(3,751)     P-value = 0.0000
Basmann pseudo-F test    21.874  F(3,748)     P-value = 0.0000

. di %10.7f r(sargan2)
60.5720120

. qui reg3 (lw =iq s expr tenure rns smsa), endog(iq) exog(med kww age
mrt s expr
> tenure rns smsa) 2sls

. qui overid

. di %10.7f r(crit)
60.5720120

registered under charity number SC000278.