R: st: Plotting a Local Polynomial Regression with CIs Accounting for Clustering

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   R: st: Plotting a Local Polynomial Regression with CIs Accounting for Clustering
Date   Tue, 1 Dec 2009 09:33:52 +0100

For a comprehensive coverage of this and related topics, L S might want to
take a look at:

Royston P, Sauerbrei W. Multivariable Model-building. Chichester: Wiley,
2008.

Kind Regards,
Carlo
-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Per conto di L S
Inviato: martedì 1 dicembre 2009 2.37
A: [email protected]
Oggetto: Re: st: Plotting a Local Polynomial Regression with CIs Accounting
for Clustering

Thanks for your help.  And sorry for one more email.

I've been playing around with the fracpoly graphs for a couple days
now.  Compared to the local polynomial regression lines, they do not
look quite right.  The main thing is that the picture will depend
often depend fairly strongly on the number of degrees for the
fractional polynomial.  If you specify a number too small, the graph
will appear oversmoothed.  If you specify a number of degrees too
large, then the 95% CIs will often get very large.

fracpoly reg y x, cluster(id) degree(2)
fracplot, msymbol(none) addplot((function y=x))
fracpoly reg y x, cluster(id) degree(6)
fracplot, msymbol(none) addplot((function y=x))

In the toy data above this is not so bad, but it is more of an issue
with the real data.

I realize that choosing the degrees is a necesary choice.  It seems
though that lpoly (local polynomial) regression produces a graph for
my data that seems more reasonable.

Thus, though I said I was flexible with respect to which form of
nonparametric regression is used, I was wondering if there might be a
way to possibly return back to local polynomial regression or perhaps
another form of nonparametric regression (besides fracpoly) that will
allow me to plot 95% CIs accounting for clustering, e.g. something
like

twoway (lpolyci y x, cluster(id)) (line x x)

Thanks a lot.

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Martin Weiss <[email protected]> wrote:

> <>
>
> *******
> fracplot, msymbol(none) addplot((function y=x))
> *******
>

> HTH
> Martin

Accounting