Re: st: Constructing assignment var for Spatial RDD: For each id in region 1 need shortest distance to an id in region 0

Subject   Re: st: Constructing assignment var for Spatial RDD: For each id in region 1 need shortest distance to an id in region 0
Date   Sat, 28 Nov 2009 22:22:31 -0500

Chris <[email protected]> :
The distance to the nearest village in another region is not the
distance to the border; see the conversation with Laura Platchkov
(e.g. http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-09/msg00493.html
etc.) on how to compute distance to the nearest vertex on a polygon
from a shapefile that gives the boundary between regions.  This is
still not exactly the distance to the border, but it is closer.
Computing actual distance to the border would be a lot more work, but
is an interesting programming challenge.  And you really need that
distance measured accurately in your proposed regression discontinuity
design.