st: RE: display all categories on pie chart for categorical variables (with some zero values)

From   Adam Collins <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: display all categories on pie chart for categorical variables (with some zero values)
Date   Thu, 26 Nov 2009 13:21:38 +0100

I expect there is something really simple that I am missing here... but I am new to Stata and it is doing my head in that I can't display all categories of a categorical variable on a pie chart...  I am really getting no where with this problem.  I would really appreciate some help.

I tried exploring ways of storing the "counts" from my categorical variable values in another variable, such as a matrix which would allow me to store a "zero count" as a "0" value.  In searching for a solution, I came accross -fulltab- (from SSC), however it doesn't seem to work (it just displays the following "program error:  code follows on the same line as open brace").

Anyway, I am not even sure this is the best approach.  Surely there is something more straight forward?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Adam Collins
Sent: mercredi 25 novembre 2009 17:39
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: display all categories on pie chart for categorical variables (with some zero values)

Hello,

I have several categorical variables that each possess the same list of categories (value labels).

To enable easy comparison of the pie charts, I would like every category to exist on every chart (so that each category retains the same colour/settings/legend position etc on each chart).

The problem is that some of the variables contain zero occurrences of certain values (categories) and the standard 'over(varname)' option with -graph pie- excludes categories with no occurrences.  I have tried the 'allcategories' option, but since it applies to the 'over()' variable, it does not help.

Does anyone have any ideas?  (by the way, since this is for a specific set of categorical variables, it is fine if the categories are 'hard coded', then applied to each variable)

Thanks again for your help!

Adam