st: AW: Mata MP

Subject   st: AW: Mata MP
Date   Thu, 26 Nov 2009 09:06:54 +0100

<>

" I believe that all estimation commands should benefit from multiple CPUs"

As http://www.stata.com/statamp/report.pdf says, there are two reasons why
no performance improvement is achieved: " ...either because (the commands)
are inherently sequential ... or because no effort was made to parallelize
them". For instance, -xtmixed- does not run faster, either, but certainly
belongs to the group of estimation commands as well. The fact that no effort
was made itself is probably grounded in the insight that the performance
improvement to be expected is not all that great.

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Sergiy Radyakin
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 26. November 2009 05:12
An: [email protected]
Betreff: st: Mata MP

Dear All,

1) I have just bumped into a phrase: "since ghk2() is written Mata it
does not benefit from multiple processors in Stata/MP".
Here: http://www.cgdev.org/files/1421516_file_Roodman_cmp_FINAL.pdf
I wonder why is that?

2) mprobit is not benefitting from multiple CPUs. Is it a fundamental
problem and nothing can be done? or is it just
"not-yet-implemented"? (It is surprising, since I believe that all
estimation commands should benefit from multiple CPUs).

Thank you,
      Sergiy Radyakin