Re: st: Generating random numbers

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Generating random numbers
Date   Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:03:08 -0800 (PST)

--- On Wed, 25/11/09, Barth Riley wrote:
> I have written a program in Stata to create several
> datasets containing simulated item response values, which
> are based on randomly generated item response theory
> parameters. I am finding that the randomly generated
> parameters for each dataset are following a predictable
> pattern (one set of parameter values for odd-numbered
> datasets; another set of values for even-numbered datasets).

I would create one master do-file which calls each of the
do-files that creates each dataset. I would set the seed
only at the top of the master do-file. If you still get
that pattern than that indicates something systematically
wrong with your algorithm.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie