st: RE: AW: R: difference between two medians

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: AW: R: difference between two medians
Date   Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:59:26 +0000

Alternatively, if you wanted to estimate differences between medians instead of median differences, you might want to use the -bpmedian- package and/or the -invcise- package, both of which can be downloaded from SSC using the -ssc- command. These packages use the method of inverse confidence interval standard errors.

The median difference is not the same thing as a difference between medians. This distinction causes a lot of culture shock to people who are accustomed to working with means and their differences. A few methodology documents on this issue are available from my website at
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/papers.htm#miscellaneous_documents

Note that my website is now at Imperial College (see my signature below), and has not been at its old KCL address since 2006.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil