RE: st: RE: create predicted values manually using matrices

From   "Joshua A. Shindell" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: create predicted values manually using matrices
Date   Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:52:53 -0500

Padmakumar, thank you for your valuable suggestion.  I am wondering if the predict command you suggest will take the coefficient on hours estimated in period T and multiply it by the value of hours in t+1?

Thank you for your help,

Joshua A. Shindell

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Padmakumar Sivadasan
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2009 6:01 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: create predicted values manually using matrices

I believe Joshua is using coefficients from period 1 regressions to
predict the values of the dependent variable in period2.  Here is code
that uses -predict- as Nick and Scott have suggested.

tsset id period
reg depvar indepvar1 indepvar2 if period==1
predict depvar1 if period==2

To loop this over multiple periods I would use a code similar to the following

webuse nlswork, clear
gen wage_hat=.
forvalues x=68/70 {
reg ln_wage hours if year==`x'