Re: st: RE: data transfer

Subject   Re: st: RE: data transfer
Date   Mon, 23 Nov 2009 22:13:21 -0500

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Nirina F <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thank you very much for your response.
> I actually tried -merge- by region but the problem is the difference
> in the number of observations in both data.
> My problem is how do I deal with the difference in observations
> because I do not want to have 8000 missing variables as the first data
> has 7000 observations and the second has 15000.

See help for -merge- which says:
" keep(results) specifies which observations are to be kept from the
merged dataset.  Using keep(match master) specifies keeping only
matched observations and unmatched master observations after merging."

then it follows:
-quote-
              . merge ..., assert(match master) keep(match)

        is identical to

            . merge ...
            . assert _merge==1 | _merge==3
            . keep if _merge==3
-endquote-

Isn't this what you need? Study the use of the _merge variable which
determines the status of the observation, and the use of the keep()
and assert options, which determine which observations (and varibales)
make it to the resulting dataset.

Best, Sergiy Radyakin