Re: st: re: TeX template for PDF help files

From   Roy Wada <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: re: TeX template for PDF help files
Date   Mon, 23 Nov 2009 01:54:34 -0800

I am reposting Sergiy's last comment at the bottom since it did not
make it to the archive.

I thought about the translator thing, and this should not be
difficult. I also see that the Stata Corp is silent on this issue. My
guess is that it has not been done because the translator will not
work for the same reason that the Stata is not capable of displaying
high resolution images. It looks like something out of 1980s, except
it comes in color. Think Atari or Commodore 64.

It doesn't matter if it's smcl or ascii or whatever. It will always
look bad on Stata display window. This is one of reasons I never
bothered to display tables there. Even the browser has a better
resolution. I'm guessing a higher resolution will slow it down because
it's hard to imagine they could not farm this out. You'd think at
least the viewer window would have a better resoultion than this. But
if they did that, it would make the main window look terrible by
comparison.

If you look at the official help files they avoid writing too much and
use small paragraphs only. Users don't know this, and they cram too
much, and it starts looking hideous (no c-letter word here). This is
how people get sucked into putting hours and hours of work with
nothing to show for it. Having a translator is not going to prevent
this. People who don't know smcl can work off a smcl template. It's
the bad results after hours of work that drive you crazy.

I would say that .pdf file is the most realistic option if people want
something that looks decent and can in fact can be made to look
decent.

Roy