st: re: TeX template for PDF help files

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: TeX template for PDF help files
Date   Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:14:37 -0500

<>
Roy said

> If people want to use Word privately as a text editor, that's up to
> them, and there need be no proposal of it as a public standard.

One of Sergiy proposal was to come up with a uniform-looking help
file. This will help standardize the appearance, just as the TeX
template would.

But what was proposed (when it was suggested that "Word could insert SMCL tags") is that we would end up with SMCL files, which if one wished could be made into HTML or PDF by Stata. There is surely nothing wrong with proposing that there could be two or more alternative mechanisms:

1) a LaTeX template which could be mechanically translated into SMCL markup as ASCII text
2) a MS Word template which could be mechanically translated into SMCL markup as ASCII text
3) a form-based routine, in Stata or in a web browser, that would generate SMCL as ASCII text

That seems to me to be a reasonable approach to allow user-programmers to sidestep SMCL, at least for simple and straightforward help files.