st: RE: re: TeX template for PDF help files

Subject   st: RE: re: TeX template for PDF help files
Date   Sun, 22 Nov 2009 13:04:02 -0000

Sergiy, Kit, et al.,

SMCL
> > is a major barrier to release user-written ados to the public (and
> > there was a complaint recently regarding "no fresh original
> > programs"). In my vision, the simplier this template is, the more
> > likely the next generation of ado files will be more completely
> > described. Perhaps the Stata gurus could take the initiative and
> > collectively make this template for the rest of us? Now could be the

> > right moment to standardize this (similar to the SJ template),
before
> > custom versions start to appear.
> >
> > 2Kit: since PDF files are not installed with the package by default,

> > what are the recommendations if I want to deploy my package with a
PDF
> > documentation only?
> > 2Stata developers: Would it be possible to make -help mycommand-
also
> > check for the presense of mycommand.pdf in case mycommand.sthlp and
> > mycommand.hlp are not found?
>

> I can set up packages to automatically install any PDF files
> included with the package; that is an option in the package
> description. However that will not do you any good, as it
> will just install the PDF files in /plus/whatever, where it
> now installs the ado and sthlp files.  Until and unless Stata
> has some official command to view help files in PDF as an
> alternative (per second query) this would not be useful.
>
> Personally I think it would be more productive to write a
> simple translator that would take, say, a LaTeX file
> following a template and turn it into SMCL.

I like this idea a lot.  Maybe Stata's -translate- should support
HTML->SMCL?  Everybody has an editor that can creat HTML output.  People
could write help files in HTML and then run them through -translate- to
get the necessary SMCL version.  It wouldn't work for fancy stuff, e.g.,
point-and-click examples that trigger the execution of Stata code, but
it would probably be good enough for simple help files.

--Mark

> SMCL can be
> turned into HTML or PDF using Stata's -translate- (all Stata
> help files on the SSC Archive are already reproduced in HTML
> format, refreshed weekly). Or, for those allergic to LaTeX, a
> simple form (perhaps written with Stata dislog boxes?) that
> the author would fill out to create the SMCL file. SMCL,
> after all, is just another markup language, so translation
> from another markup language is not that difficult.
>
> The stated policy of the SSC Archive will be retained for the
> tie being: packages must contain a SMCL help file to be
> included in the archive.
>
> Kit
>
> Kit Baum   |   Boston College Economics & DIW Berlin   |
> http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html
>                               An Introduction to Stata
> Programming  |   http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html
>    An Introduction to Modern Econometrics Using Stata  |
> http://www.stata-press.com/books/imeus.html

registered under charity number SC000278.