Re: st: overlaying two histograms (or distribution curves)

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: overlaying two histograms (or distribution curves)
Date   Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:51:49 -0500

Thank you both (Maarten and Austin) for all these choices I had not known
about (violin, byhist, kdens).

Austin, I don't have a known distribution per-se. I have two groups (treated
and controls), and the outcome variables could follow any distribution. The
motivation for this is to visually describe how the distribution of an
outcome variable overlaps (or doesn't) between two groups.

Thanks again.

Ariel

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:47:06 -0500
From: Austin Nichols <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: st: overlaying two histograms (or distribution curves)

Maarten--
I think that is the same graph I gave for comparison purposes, but I
don't think it compares well with -byhist- unless one takes a bit more
care on the -kdensity- side--the kernel density estimates should at
least use the same bandwidths, and perhaps the same estimation points
if we really wish to compare them.  Other considerations might apply
if Ariel told us something about the theoretical distribution of the
variable filling the role of "price" (is it discrete? does it have a
finite range?).