Re: st: Iv reg estimates are too large in stnd errors

Subject   Re: st: Iv reg estimates are too large in stnd errors
Date   Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:11:08 -0500

Steve--
My point was about the first stage, not the second.  Angrist and Evans
show an effect of samesex on subsequent fertility of .06 but the R
squared is 0.004, meaning that you are throwing away a lot of the
variation in the endog var (for good reason, but that does not change
the effect on the SE), though the first-stage F is over 1000 (so no
weak instr worries).  They have sample sizes in the 400 thousand
range, and the IV estimates have SEs 12 to 16 times as large as the
corresponding OLS (e.g. http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdfplus/116844.pdf
table 7).