RE: st: RE: Re: How can commands be suppressed in the results window

Subject   RE: st: RE: Re: How can commands be suppressed in the results window
Date   Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:05:59 +0100

<>

Re Michael`s -log- command: This will only work for Stata users who do not
customarily keep a log of everything they do, started by the -profile.do-.
For the others, you have to add the -name()- option to the -log- command to
make this work...

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Michael Hanson
Sent: Freitag, 20. November 2009 03:33
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: Re: How can commands be suppressed in the results
window

I'm a little surprised by some of the more complex answers given on
this thread -- perhaps I am misunderstanding what looks to be a fairly
simple question.

Babak:

Martin's suggestion to use -quietly- seems to me to be one half of the
solution you seek.  The other half is its counterpart, -noisily-:

// Begin example

quietly {
     log using quiet_noise.log, text replace
     sysuse auto
     noisily: regress price mpg foreign
     log close
}

// End example

Note that only the results of the -regress- command are displayed, and
not the call to the -regress- command itself.  Is that something like
what you are looking for?

Note also that if you look at the file "quiet_noise.log" with a plain
text editor, you'll see that it only contains the results of the
commands you precede with -noisily:- .  This log file might be more
useful for you than (say) copying and pasting from the Results window,
should you have some post-processing of the output in mind.  Using -
estout- or a similar command is arguably an even better way to control
what you output and how it looks, especially for inclusion in
professional documents.

Hope this helps,
Mike