st: RE: Re: Create a flag variable for 10 most frequent values

Subject   st: RE: Re: Create a flag variable for 10 most frequent values
Date   Wed, 18 Nov 2009 23:59:49 +0100

<>

Support for my initial position from the pundits. Appreciate it!

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Kit Baum
Sent: Mittwoch, 18. November 2009 15:55
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Re: Create a flag variable for 10 most frequent values

<>
I guess some of the difficulty here is semantic. When I first read the post
it did not occur to me that a user wanting to know what the most frequent
values are, in terms of most frequent, second m.f., third m.f., ... tenth
m.f. should think about modes. Surely the mode is THE m.f. value, and we
often speak of a distribution being bimodal or even multi-modal. But the use
of the term 'modes' to represent, say, the 100 most frequently occurring
given names among those born in 2008 is not obvious to me.

Nevertheless, it is a very good thing that Nick's -modes- might answer that
question!

Cheers
Kit

On Nov 18, 2009, at 2:33 AM, statalist-digest wrote:

> There is no guarantee that questioners use the most appropriate word, but
"most frequent" might suggest "mode" to many statistically-minded people.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html
                              An Introduction to Stata Programming  |
http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html