st: analysis of grouped mixed-factor count data

From   "Charles A Pierce (capierce)" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: analysis of grouped mixed-factor count data
Date   Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:04:32 -0600

Dear Statalist:

Is there a way, perhaps via a mixed-factor chi-square or loglinear model or HLM, to analyze grouped count data such as the following (N = 400; 200 cases in each treatment condition; treatment condition is between Ss and pre-post is within Ss; I don't have individual-level data, just grouped count data like you see below; DV = # of cases observed engaging in a behavior at pre and post):

               Pretest    Posttest
Treatment 1      150          80
Treatment 2      150         100

I need to determine whether the change in # of cases from pre to post differs depending on treatment condition.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks ...

2009-2010 Past Chair
Research Methods Division, Academy of Management

Charles A. Pierce, Ph.D.
Professor of HR Management
Coordinator, Ph.D. Program
Department of Management
Fogelman College of Business
University of Memphis
Memphis, TN  38152-3120
Voice: (901) 678-3159

Founding Member, U of Memphis Center for Organizational Research and Effectiveness (UMCORE)