st: RE: text to columns

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: text to columns
Date   Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:35:34 -0000

Use -split- with punctuation _ and -.

-split- was added in Stata 8.

I am sure that you will enjoy telling your colleague.

Keith Dear

Is there a utility to turn a string variable with values like
into four variables (or whatever it takes) rs1805005, chr16, 88513145,
88513 ?
A colleague tells me "Excel is easy using Text to columns and following
the prompts, but it irritates me not to be able to do it in Stata!"
(btw I consider it a minor personal victory that the people I work with,

some of them, sometimes, no longer write STATA.)