Re: st: RE: old question, new solutions?

Subject   Re: st: RE: old question, new solutions?
Date   Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:19:23 -0500

Nick--
Do the proposed solutions offer graphing bars +/- some number of
standard deviations around the mean, rather than standard errors?  I
would think -vioplot- from SSC would be a better choice than either
what the poster requests or a boxplot, but you could also adapt this
approach for SDs:

sysuse auto, clear
levelsof rep78, loc(rs) miss
loc g
loc l
foreach r of loc rs {
 qui su mpg if rep78==`r'
 if `r'>=. {
  loc l `l' `max' "`r'"
  loc r `max'
  loc max=`max'+1
  }
 else {
  loc l `l' `r' "`r'"
  loc max=`r'+1
 }
 loc g `g'||pci `=r(mean)-2*r(sd)' `r'
 loc g `g' `=r(mean)+2*r(sd)' `r'
 loc g `g'||scatteri `=r(mean)' `r', ms(o) msize(large)
}
tw `g' leg(off) xla(`l')