st: xtgee or xtreg?? they seem to bring similar results.

From   Alison McCarthy <>
To   stata <>
Subject   st: xtgee or xtreg?? they seem to bring similar results.
Date   Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:31:50 +1030

Dear statalist,

I have mailed before about a panel data set I am working with using 38 countries over the period 1980 to 2005. This uses age standardized mortality rates as the main outcome variable.

I notice that I get very similar results using xtgee f(p)vce(r)  and xtreg, fe i(Country) vce(r), the main difference being that the xtgee has smaller standard errors than the FE model (which I understand is normal).

Could this mean that the XTGEE correlation structure  does not affect my results that much, and that I could have just used the FE model instead? I do realize that XTGEE is population level model, and therefore has different assumptions... but regardless of differences in their approach they appear to bring up very similar results.

I was thinking to include both in my work to demonstrate it is robust to different techniques.

Any comments would be very welcome.

Download new and classic emoticon packs at Emoticon World Brought to you exclusively by Windows Live