st: AW: How to create a random number identifier number

Subject   st: AW: How to create a random number identifier number
Date   Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:20:36 +0100

<>

Anna could also create the identifiers as

*************
clear*

//get the universe of possible 5 digits
set obs 90001
gen newpersonid=_n+9999

//get 11.000 w/o replacement
sample 11000, cou

//see what happened
desc
isid newpersonid

save this to a -tempfile-, load her original dataset and -merge- by
observation.

HTH
Martin