Re: st: How to create a random number identifier number

From   Michael McCulloch <>
Subject   Re: st: How to create a random number identifier number
Date   Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:55:27 -0800

Dear Anna, if you sort on some variable other than personid, or perform a random sort, you could then:
	gen new_personid = _n
This creates a variable which has a value equal to the sequence # of that record, which is why you have to create some sort order other than personid.