Re: st: close excel file from within Stata

From   Sergiy Radyakin <>
Subject   Re: st: close excel file from within Stata
Date   Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:13:20 -0500

Dear Raoul,
1) no it is not possible to close an Excel file from within Stata.

2) You can launch an external program with the -shell- command, but
technically this is not "from within Stata".
Here you google something like: kill process windows (or whatever OS
you are using) and find a plethora of utilities for the purpose:

describes the standard command taskkill.

Type in the OS command line : taskkill /? for help

3) I would not recommend this way of programming though. Perhaps your
program could try to delete the file, if it fails, ask the user to
close Excel, or automatically fallback to a different name if
interaction is to be avoided. E.g. report_0001.xls if report.xls is

Best regards,
    Sergiy Radyakin