st: help interpreting SVY output

From   Tomeka Davis <>
Subject   st: help interpreting SVY output
Date   Mon, 09 Nov 2009 16:33:09 -0500

Hello -

This is my first time using the set of SVY commands in Stata and I have a few questions.  When I use the syntax:

svyset psu [pweight=pw], strata (strata)

Stata 1) does not calculate the standard errors and 2) I  get a message stating that standard errors are" missing because of stratum with single sampling units".

Furthermore, I am also getting incorrect counts for my PSU.  There were originally only 100 PSUs in my data.  However, I do get standard errors with the following syntax:

svyset psu [pweight=pw], strata (strata) || _n, singleunit(certainty)

But I still get a 455 PSU count.  Again, I have never used SVY to account for clustering and complex survey design. I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.