Re: st: AW: Reclaiming RAM. . .

From   Joachim Landström <>
Subject   Re: st: AW: Reclaiming RAM. . .
Date   Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:30:22 +0100

I will read the article since I am not fond of Vista's memory allocation method and wish to learn more how to work with it. Indeed, I am limited to run my analysis on weekly data since using daily data requires a too big memory allocation to Stata under Vista's 32-bit system. (I guess I will migrate sooner rather than later to a Linux 64-bit system, hoping for a smoother, more versatile, operating system.)

However, given the current issue at hand, I have now tested Martin's tip to set the memory to 100M after the session has finished. It then gives back the claimed RAM and I am again down to an approximately 32 percent RAM usage.

This is much appreciated since I now again have a snappy Stata without having to restart it after each bout.

Quoting Neil Shephard <>:

BTW - a simple example of how this would be useful is if I was using
The GIMP ( under Linux and then closed it down
when I'd finished, its still actually sitting in RAM, and if I start
it up again it will come back from RAM instead of having to be loaded
into memory again.

Apologies for the poor grammar in the previous message.

"The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data." ~ John Tukey (1986), "Sunset salvo". The American
Statistician 40(1).

Email -
Website -
Photos -